Pasifika musicians, singers, songwriters, and producers were recognised at the 17th annual Pacific Music Awards held online on Saturday evening.
Among the big winners was 19 year old Joshua Christian Nanai aka Jawsh 685 who celebrated three wins with APRA Best Pacific Song, NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award and the NZ On Air Streaming Award. He rose to fame last year with his hit song ‘Savage Love (Laxed-Siren Beat)’ with Jason Derulo becoming a viral sensation on TikTok and received his first ever music award at the 2020 Pacific Music Awards.
Musician/artist Katerina Rosera Lilian Vaifale Manu, aka Tree scooped two awards this year. For her self-produced album Mrs. Tree she took out the Recorded Music NZ Best Pacific Music Album Award and the NZ On Air Best Pacific Music Video Award for ‘Afio Ane Loa’ directed by Tree Manu & Quincy Filiga.
Nick Afoa, well known for his role in ‘The Lion King Musical’, was awarded the Ministry for Pacific Peoples Special Recognition Award for 2021 and was acknowledged for his social work in the South Auckland community.
Polynesian Metal band Shepherds Reign took home the Sunpix Best Pacific Language Award for their song Aiga.
Event Producer, Petrina Togi-Sa’ena says, “we wanted to end the year with an awesome celebration, shining the light on our amazing Pacific artists, sharing unity through music, and showing our love of Pacific music. We are so grateful to the team, sponsors, and supporters of the Pacific Music Awards and thank you so much to everyone who joined us to celebrate online.”
Chairman and spokesperson Rev. Mua Strickson-Pua says, “For our 2021 Pacific Music Awards a key theme is ‘Amanaki/Hope.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the winners were celebrated in a pre-recorded online awards ceremony on Saturday evening, screened by Tagata Pasifika on TP+ (tpplus.co.nz). A highlights show will be available next weekend (18 December).
2021 Pacific Music Awards Winners
- Auckland Council Best Pacific Female Artist: Lou’ana – Moonlight Madness
- NZ Music Commission Best Pacific Male Artist: Melodownz – ‘Fine’
- Flava Best Pacific Group: Team Dynamite – ‘Dragon Fruit ft. Louis Baker’
- NZ On Air Best Pacific Music Video: Tree – ‘Afio Ane Loa’
- APRA Best Pacific Song: Jawsh 685 – ‘Savage Love (Laxed-Siren Beat)’
- SunPix Best Pacific Language: Shepherds Reign – ‘Aiga’
- Base FM & Island Base Best Pacific Hip Hop Artist: Melodownz – ‘Fine’
- Best Pacific Soul/R&B Artist: Lepani – In the Moment EP
- One Love Best Pacific Roots/Reggae Artist: Victor J Sefo – ‘My Everything’/’Is It Bad’/’Want To’/’Like’
- 531pi Best Pacific Gospel Artist: Marley Sola – ‘Lift Your Head High’
- Niu FM Best International Pacific Artist: Tenelle – ‘This Is X’
- Recorded Music NZ Best Pacific Music Album: Tree – Mrs Tree
- Best Producer: Lou’ana – Moonlight Madness
- Phillip Fuemana Award – Most Promising Pacific Artist: Emily Muli
- NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award: Jawsh 685 x Jason Derulo – ‘Savage Love (Laxed-Siren Beat)
- NZ On Air Streaming Award: Jawsh 685 x Jason Derulo – ‘Savage Love (Laxed-Siren Beat)
- SunPix People’s Choice Award – Best Pacific Artist: Samson Squad
- Ministry for Pacific Peoples Special Recognition Award: Nick Afoa
- Manukau Institute of Technology Lifetime Achievement Award: George “Fiji” Veikoso
Image credit: Supplied/Tree/Shepherds Reign/Disney